Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Merry Christmas to Me

We are in the midst of my absolute favorite time of year. I typically enjoy the six to eight weeks from the end of November to the beginning of February more than any other time on the calendar.

Of course, there are the Holidays. I love Thanksgiving, and Christmas and New Year’s. I love seeing family and enjoying friends in a festive atmosphere. I enjoy the decorations and the cold nights and the warm fires. I like hot chocolate and days off and Christmas music. I don’t even mind a little snow. These are a few of my favorite things.

Unlike a lot of people, I don’t suffer much from post-Holiday blues, because I enjoy all the football games on TV following Christmas. The Bowl games for college and the playoffs for the NFL keep me engaged through the Super Bowl. It’s only then that I begin suffering symptoms of withdrawal.

Kim is always amazed at my ability to stay awake on Sunday afternoons from September through January, but how essential my Sunday afternoon naps become as soon as football season is over. All I can say is that football is a very physical game and it takes a lot out of me. I have to rest up because the new season will be here before we know it.

Long ago, Solomon said Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him—for this is his lot. Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work—this is a gift of God. (Ecclesiastes 5:18-19)

So I’m going to enjoy myself for the next several weeks. I still have sermons to prepare, meetings to attend and visits to make. I am blessed to have a job that I enjoy. But in the midst of my labors, I will give special attention to the joys of life that are unique to this time of year. I will view them as another of God’s gifts to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment