Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ignoring the Hand That Feeds You

I got up this morning and followed a pretty typical routine. I let Sophie out of her crate, fed her and took her outside. I poured a cup of coffee for me and sat down in my chair to do my devotions. A few minutes later, Sophie jumped up on me, and after wandering around my lap for a few minutes, she settled down and rested peacefully.

After about a half hour, she heard Kacie upstairs. Sophie stirred a little bit. The more she heard Kacie, the more anxious she got. She positioned herself on my lap so that she had a clear view of the staircase behind me. Every time she heard the bathroom door open or the bedroom door close, she got more excited. Then finally, Kacie descended from on high. Sophie jumped off of my lap, scratching my leg in the process. But she didn't care. She was on a mission to see Kacie.

I have to admit, in some ways that irked me. After all, I'm the one who let Sophie out of her crate. I'm the one who fed her. I'm the one who took her outside so she could do her business. And after all that, she abandons me at the drop of a hat in order to embrace Kacie.

I can't help but draw a comparison between Sophie and the Israelites in the Old Testament. God led them out of bondage and slavery. He took care of them. He fed them and protected them from their enemies. He brought them into a land flowing with milk and honey. But at the drop of a hat, they went following after other gods.

Now, I'm not comparing myself to God (or Kacie to false religion), but my point is simply that it is understandable how upset and even angry God got at his chosen people when they refused to acknowledge Him and His provision. But such treachery didn't end with the Israelites. It goes on, even today, among those who claim a relationship with God. We abandon God for fame, fortune and power. We pursue other ambitions while giving lip service to Him.

As God's people, let's be sensitive to those times when we fail to show God the love and respect that is due Him. Let's be less anxious to jump down off His lap to chase the latest fad to come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment